Medicine and Horsemanship is taught in a ranch setting full day sessions. It is a non-riding program and no previous horse experience is required.
Early Bird Course Tuition $350
To take advantage of the Early Bird Discount up to two weeks prior to the event, please use one of the following coupons at checkout:
- MedicineApril for April 28 (6 CEUs)
- MedicineJune for June 16 (6 CEUs)
- MedicineSeptember for September 15 (6 CEUs)
to get $45 off two weeks prior to your course.
Please add your phone number during checkout
...so we may contact you in case of last minute changes!
The Medicine and Horsemanship Program...
...trains healthcare practitioners to develop the nuances of communication, trust and awareness in order to create strong, healthy provider-patient relationships.
- Become aware of subtleties of verbal and nonverbal communication
- Improve attention, mindfulness, and focus abilities
- Become aware of inconsistency of intention vs. behavior
- Identify and respect boundaries in ourselves and others
- Recognize the nature of projection and transference
- Confront insecurities and develop confidence
- Adjust to the relativity of time expand the moment
- Cope with stress
Interaction with horses and obtaining the desired response requires an appreciation of both verbal and nonverbal messages and how we communicate with them. It requires patience, gentleness, self-confidence, sensitivity, focus, and awareness. Through honest, immediate feedback horses are able to make us acutely aware of the signals and intents we convey, both positive and negative. It’s no secret that working in the health sciences requires high levels of cognitive ability. However, the fundamental responsibility of navigating and developing the subtleties of “bedside manner” is left up to the individual. It’s the combination of both high intellect and high emotional intelligence that will propel you forward to clinical excellence.
Benefits for Health Care Professionals:
- Improve non-verbal communication through immediate, clear feedback
- Identify appropriate boundaries in self and others
- Build awareness of congruency between intention and behavior
- Cultivate attention, mindfulness (being present) and the ability to focus
- Develop confidence by confronting fear in self and others Increase emotional intelligence
Similar programs have been implemented for nearly 10 years in medical schools at Stanford University, the University of Arizona and most recently at University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey.
Hours: 9am - 4pm
Location: Snohomish, WA
Directions will be sent at registration. This is a private residence, please drive slowly. Dress for the weather as this is a covered outdoor arena. Bring a sack lunch. Beverages will be provided. 6 CEUs per full day.